The OC Gran Fondo is back for 2014 after a one year hiatus in 2013. We’ve made some significant changes and improvements for this year. And we expect even more rider-focused refinements in 2015 and beyond!
- No more Santa Ana River Trail – due to safety concerns and honestly, it wasn’t all that scenic!
- More climbing for a greater challenge.
- Incorporated more areas of Orange County, including Irvine, Tustin, Orange, Mission Viejo, Rancho Santa Margarita, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Beach and Newport Beach. It’s a true combination of mountains, canyons and sea.
- New Start/Finish area at Mike Ward Community Park – a beautiful backdrop in the heart of Irvine with 22 acres of green space for everyone to enjoy.
- Mass Start includes all three main rides (Gran, Medio & Piccolo Fondos) as opposed to just Gran and Medio routes
- Longer police escort to start (8 miles) with controlled intersections
- More significant competitive element to the ride – multiple King of the Mountain segments and “Sprint” segments with jerseys and prizes awarded to winners.
- Shimano, one of the biggest names in the cycling world, has stepped up as title sponsor and are providing on course SAG support with vehicles and cyclists.
- Post Ride Drawing! Shimano is providing some amazing prizes, including the Grand Prize of an Ultegra Wheelset.
Five different routes have been setup for this year: Gran Fondo, Medio Fondo, Piccolo Fondo, Famiglia Fondo, and Bambino Fondo. Each was designed with specific riders in mind.
This is a 91.30 mi route. The route has a total ascent of 6,156.0 ft and has a maximum elevation of 1,459.88 ft.
This is a 66.37 mi route. The route has a total ascent of 4,638.71 ft and has a maximum elevation of 1,466.83 ft.
This is a 36.04 mi route. The route has a total ascent of 1,625.56 ft and has a maximum elevation of 656.14 ft.
This is a 9.96 mi route. The route has a total ascent of 240.49 ft and has a maximum elevation of 176.57 ft.
OC Bambino Fondo is a 1 mile loop for the littlest riders. Perfect for tricycles, big wheels and little red wagons, this is a great route for young children to participate in with their moms and dads.